Decreasing tax revenues, demand for social benefits and the ongoing desire for good customer service are all common challenges facing federal and local governments. Managing billions of dollars of public funds come with increased pressure and responsibility. Both constituents and residents expect increased efficiency, transparency and accountability.
CaseWare™ Analytics are designed to help government agencies improve financial and IT governance in alignment with their fiduciary responsibilities. The solution provides government agencies with a greater understanding of their data, while ensuring good data quality and security, regardless of volume, condition, state or location. The solution presents a platform to independently monitor controls across agencies, departments, business processes and custom applications or enterprise resource planning (ERP) platforms such as SAP®, Oracle® and FreeBalance®.
With an independent platform to automate ongoing and predictive data analysis, you can eliminate blind spots from your core business processes, stop improper payments, enforce policies to ensure segregation of duties and manage grant payments.
With over twenty five years of experience, CaseWare has over 400,000 users globally, including G-20 governments and numerous federal, state, provincial and local governments.
- Comprehensive Transaction Monitoring
Active monitoring of all transactions and customer data, from multiple source systems, allows anomalies to be detected immediately. This is critical in areas such as social security, tax compliance and disbursements.
- 360° Degree View of Risks
Identify fraud while being able to quickly counteract emerging fraud schemes.
- Extract all sales data, customer invoices and credit memos to help gain an understanding of the client under audit
- Extract appropriate sales transactions from unedited point-of-sale transaction files e.g. to detect point-of sales suppression “zapper” fraud
- Extract third-party information from exempt sales transactions to use in audit selections and follow-up
- Reconcile general ledger sales to financial statements and tax returns
- Reconcile sales reported to general ledger and product/date summaries
- Summarize electronic tax returns to reconcile taxable earnings to payroll tax annual returns (gross earnings)
- Summarize sales tax revenue by state of incorporation, in-state county where sale took place, and industry code
Social & Health Services
- Analyze trends in billing practices of providers over a period of time to check for fraudulent billing
- Check for duplicate payments to claimants and providers
- Compare service dates to employee dates of service to ensure claims are not paid for terminated, deceased or retired employees
- Identify providers with high value check amounts on a weekly basis
- Summarize claims by medical codes and check to ensure codes not covered under plan were not paid
- Analyze multiple claims paid to same address with different claim numbers
- Identify employees with a large number of reversing entries
- Review suspense accounts activity for appropriate use
- Verify feeder systems data in a consolidated ledger
- Validate GL account footing
Operations & Financial Management
- Extract duplicate names and social security numbers from employee database
- Compare employee termination dates to payroll to ensure no erroneous payments
- Identify employees earning more than a specified percentage of salary in overtime
- Highlight suspicious or abnormal travel expenditures
- Identify duplicate payments (e.g. same amounts, common dates, etc.)
- Determine whether journal vouchers are corrected on a timely basis
- Perform trend analysis of expenditures for each month, compare departments, and identify large and small monthly expenditures
- Identify staff with a large number of correcting journal entries
- Highlight postings to infrequently used accounts
- Extract contractor payments and trace contractor expenses to determine whether expense was valid and properly supported
- Compare total vendor purchases to amount of approved contract
- Analyze products purchased to identify potential waste and mismanagement
- Extract purchase orders below dollar amount requiring compliance with sealed bids
- Match vendor information to employee information (employee, dependent, emergency contacts) to ensure compliance with vendor restrictions
- Track and verify disadvantaged business enterprises when bids are submitted for various government projects